How to apply for a building permit?
You will be required to complete and sign an application from available at the Building Department. You will also be required to submit additional information based on the proposed construction.
You will be required to submit two complete sets of the building plans for new buildings, additions to existing buildings, accessory buildings and for all structural modifications to an existing building or structure. After the plans are reviewed and stamped, one set will be returned to you and you are required to keep these plans at the building site at all times.
What type of plans is required?
- Building location plan
- Foundation plan
- Floor plan
- Cross Section plan
- Elevation plan
- Survey plan
- Lot grading plan prepared by a professional Engineer or Ontario Land Surveyor
- Details and specifications as required by the complexity of the project
Other requirements that may apply
1) Installation of a sewage disposal system: A Certificate of Approval must be obtained from the Eastern Ontario Health Unit prior to the installation of a sewage disposal system:
- for the construction of a new or enlarged sewage disposal system, for example, septic tank and tile bed.
- a copy of the certificate must be submitted prior to the issuance of a building permit.
- A letter of approval from the Health Unit is required for all accessory buildings, additions, above or in-ground swimming pools, patio/decks (in other words, for all constructions undertaken beside the existing ones).
2) Connection to the municipal water system:
- fee must be paid before the building permit can be issued allowing for the building to be connected to the municipal water system.
3) Connection to the municipal sanitary sewage system and storm water system:
- A connection fee must be paid before the building permit can be issued allowing for the building to be connected to the municipal sanitary sewage system and, if applicable, to the storm water system.
4) Entrance Permit:
In order to obtain your entrance permit, you will be required to complete an application form available at the public works department.
- A copy of the entrance permit must be submitted to the Building Department, prior to obtaining the building permit.
A copy of the entrance permit issued by the Public Works Department of the United Counties of Prescott and Russell must be submitted to the Building Department, prior to obtaining the building permit.
5) New Home Warranty Program – Registration Number:
- This information is required for all new residential buildings where the builder or general contractor is not the owner or when the house under construction will be sold.
6) Other fees related to a Building Permit:
- All fees related to a Building Permit must be paid in full, prior to obtaining a building permit. Payment may be in cash, interact or by cheque made payable to the City of Clarence-Rockland.